Slide backgroundSlide thumbnail
Slide backgroundSlide thumbnail
Slide backgroundSlide thumbnail
Slide backgroundSlide thumbnail
Slide backgroundSlide thumbnail
Slide backgroundSlide thumbnail
Slide backgroundSlide thumbnail
Home  //  About Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q.s)
General F.A.Q.s


Find questions and answers by clicking on the category button below: 

City Manager's Office/Administration  

Cable Television

City Clerk's Office

Planning and Housing Department 



Community Development Block Grants (CDBG)


Community ServicesDepartment

Finance Department  


Revenue Management 



Human Resources Department

Library Services

Police Department

Public Works Department

Los Angeles CountyFire Department  

Fire Stations







The City Manager serves as the Chief Administrative Officer of the City and is responsible to the City Council for the efficient and effective administration of all City Departments. The City Manager also serves as the Executive Director of the Redevelopment Agency.

The City Administration staff formulates policy and budgetary recommendations for City Council action and implements Council directives. The Department coordinates City Council activities with other governmental agencies and outside organizations. Additionally, the responsibility for overseeing specific contracts such as animal control, cable television and technology services rest within the Administration Department.

Q: I've lost my court date information. How can I get that information again.
A: Contact the Pomona Superior Courthouse by dialing (909) 620-3020 or Municipal Courthouse (909) 802-9944.

Q: I want to open a business. Do I need a permit or license? How do I verify if a local business has a license for the City of Pomona?
A: Contact the Business License Division at (909) 620-2343.

Q: I would like to file a complaint against an employee. Who can help me with this issue?
A: Please contact a supervisor in that department. If you have already spoken to a supervisor and are still dissatisfied contact the City Manager's Office at (909) 620-2051.

Q: Can I leave a message for my Councilmember? How can I make an appointment to see my Councilmember/Mayor?
A: If you would like to leave a message for the Mayor or a Councilmember, you may do so by speaking to an Assistant or by leaving a message on the Councilmember's voicemail. If you have requested a meeting, the Assistant or Councilmember will contact you with possible appointment times if an appointment is necessary.

Q: If I have a complaint against a Pomona business, what do I do? 
A: Complaints about a Pomona business or its business practices should be referred to the Better Business Bureau at 909-825-6246 or State of California Department of Consumer Affairs at 800-952-5210 (toll free).

Q: Is a permit required for yard sales?
A: No, however the City ordinance restricts yard sales to four specific weekends per year. Click here for this years dates. For additional information contact the Code Compliance office at 909-620-2374 for the weekend dates.



The City Clerk is in charge of all City elections and assists in State-wide elections. The City Clerk attends City Council meetings, maintains a record of proceedings, processes all documents approved by the City Council, maintains the City and Zoning Codes, and has custody of the records and Common Seal of the City. The City Clerk also serves as Clerk of the Successor Agency to the former Redevelopment Agency, the Pomona Public Financing Authority and the Pomona Housing Authority, and has custody of their Seals. The City Clerk's office serves as a general information center for the public.

Q: Where can I get copies of Birth/Marriage/Death Certificates?
A: By calling or visiting the Los Angeles Co. Registrar-Recorder at: 12400 Imperial Highway
Norwalk, CA 90650
(562) 462-2137 (24 Hour Taped Message)

Q: Where do I get Election Information?
A: Contact the City Clerk's Office for all City Elections, including Voter Registration information. Contact the Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk for County and statewide elections, including, Recorder/County Clerk Operations and Voter Registration information.

Q: When and where are the City Council Meetings held?
A: City Council meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Monday of the month at 6:45 p.m. Meetings are held at the Pomona City Council Chambers at the Civic Center Plaza. Special meetings are held on any of the remaining Mondays as needed.

Q: Where do I pay my Traffic ticket?
A:  West Covina Traffic Court
      1427 West Covina Parkway
      West Covina, CA 91790
      Information: 626-430-2599 (Phone hours: 8:30a-10:30a and 1:30p-3:30p)
      Payments: 213-742-1928



The Planning and Housing Department consists of three divisions: Planning, Housing, and the Redevelopment Agency. The Planning Division administer and enforce applicable State and local codes to ensure the health and safety of the public. The Housing Division's function is to administer and develop various housing programs designed to assist very low, low and moderate income households. In addition, the Division administers the Low Mod Set Aside program the CDBG program, the ESG program (provides for coordination of homeless services), the Section 8 Rental Subsidies Program, and the Shelter Plus Care and Supportive Housing Program Grants.

The role of Redevelopment Agency is to improve the conditions of the City through urban revitalization and in-fill developments. The programs and projects of the Redevelopment Agency are geared to prevent blighting conditions caused by stagnation, economic and social problems. The role of Business Development is to attract and retain businesses in the City and to provide a communication bridge between City Hall and businesses in the community.

Q: What is a General Plan?
A: The General Plan, required by the State of California, serves as the constitution for the physical and social development of the City. The role of the General Plan is to identify current and future needs in land use, community design, housing, transportation, public services, environmental quality, and economic viability, which are issues that affect the quality of life of all residents.

Q: What is a Zoning Ordinance?
A: A zoning ordinance consists of the zoning text which describes all regulations, standards and procedures and defines the terms that are used) and a zoning map or maps (which delineate the location of all zoning districts.



Q: Does the City have a program to help potential homebuyers with the purchase of a home in Pomona?
A: Yes. The City has a First-Time Homebuyer Mortgage Assistance Program (MAP) that provides down payment and closing cost assistance for first-time homebuyers. The assistance is up to $65,000 for a moderate-income buyer and up to $100,000 to a low-income buyer. Please contact (909) 620-3631 for more information.

Q: What kind of grants does the City have and how do they work?
A: The City has a variety of grants. Through the Housing Division, there is the HOME Program, which operates the City's presidential rehabilitation program and other programs related to housing creation and improvement. The Emergency Shelter Grant (ESG) provides funding for the homeless and those at-risk of homelessness. In addition to these grants, there are grants through the State of California, other departments of the Federal government and grants through foundations and charitable organizations. Each grant has its own rules, regulations, and target markets.


Community Development Block Grants (CDBG)

Q: When does the CDBG funding cycle begin?
A: The funding cycle typically begins in November or December, depending on when the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) notifies the City of its annual grant amounts.

Q: What types of services and projects are available?
A: A variety of services and projects are eligible under the CDBG program. Among them are public services to low-to-moderate income persons in the City and various rehabilitation, public improvement and infrastructure construction projects. The amount of funds expended on public services cannot exceed 15% of the year's grant amount.

Q: What is required to receive CDBG funding?
A: For most programs and projects, the program or project must be undertaken by either the City or another non-profit organization. In addition, they must meet a national objective of the program and must be an eligible activity. Projects or programs must also be consistent with identified needs in the City's 5-year Consolidated Plan. Funding requests are made through a formal application process. Funding awards are made by the City Council through a public hearing process.

Q: What is the relationship between HUD and the City?
A: HUD is the funding source for CDBG funds and provides federal oversight for compliance with federal requirements, regulations and laws. The City is the receiver of grant funds and, as such, can carry out programs directly or can contract with one or more sub-recipients for programs and services.



The function of the Community Services Department is to maintain Pomona's public park system and urban forest, and to plan a variety of year-round recreational programs and special events by providing quality care and services, so that the citizens of Pomona may enjoy a safe and rewarding leisure time experience.

Q: Does the City of Pomona rent halls for the public use?
A: The City of Pomona rents community centers for the public to use. Information may be obtained through the Community Services Department by calling (909) 620-2321, or on the web at

Q: How can you reserve an area or a spot at a park?
A: The Community Services Department rents picnic pavilions at the following locations: Ganesha, Country Crossings and Phillips Ranch Parks. All other parks are on a first-come, first-served basis. For more information on fees and rental rules please call the Community Services Department at (909) 620-2321 or refer to our web site at

Q: Can I have a bounce at a park?
A: The City of Pomona allows jumping bounces at the parks as long as the bounce company being utilized meets the City of Pomona's insurance requirements. A permit is required and can be obtained through the Community Services Department at City Hall free of charge. A permit will only be issued after staff verifies the bounce company meets the City's insurance requirements.

Q: Is there a list of upcoming special events for the City of Pomona?
A: Please refer to the city web site at under the Calendar of Events. The Community Services Department produces a brochure with upcoming events planned by the City. A brochure can either be mailed to you or one may be obtained at the Community Services office in City Hall.

Q: I'd like to sign my child up for sports, how can I do this?
A: The Community Services office has a flyer that has information on various sports leagues within the City of Pomona as well as contact information.



By City Charter, the Finance Department manages and maintains financial records in conformity with generally accepted accounting principles and in conformance with State and Federal laws. The Department develops and maintains effective financial planning, reporting, and central support systems in order to assist operating departments in achieving their program objectives. The department consists of six divisions comprised of Finance Administration, Accounting, Payroll, Budget, Purchasing and Printing Services, and Revenue Management.


Revenue Management
Q: What bills/payments do we process?
A: Water Bills and Business Licenses -- Please click here for Parking Citations Questions


The City does not process:
We do not accept payments for other utilities (electric, gas, telephone, cable TV). Please see your respective utility bills for complete payment information and instructions.

Moving violation tickets or non-Pomona parking citations
These payments go to the Municipal Court Building at 350 W. Mission Boulevard, just west of City Hall.

Property Tax payments
Property Tax bills and payments are handled through the offices of the Los Angeles County Tax Assessor, phone 888-802-2111 (toll free).

Property Transfer Tax
This tax is collected at time of escrow closure. Any questions about this tax should be referred to the City of Pomona Revenue Manager at 909-620-2454.


Q: How do I get on the City's Bid List?
A: You must fill out a Bidder's Application Form. The form is available on the City's website at, press "E-Gov" to print a copy of the application form.

Q: How can I find out the results of the bid I submitted?
A: Most bid results are posted on the City's website within 1-2 days of the bid opening. Non-construction Bid results are located at, press "E-Gov," then Press "RFP Non-Construction." Bid results for construction bids may be obtained at the City Clerk's office at 909-620-2341.



The Human Resources Department has two distinct divisions providing varied types of services: 1) the Personnel Division serves its internal and external customers by providing quality, efficient, and timely assistance in recruitment and selection, classification, compensation, collective bargaining, labor relations, organizational development, training, and ensures organizational compliance with the memorandums of understanding; and 2) the Risk Management Division provides quality, efficient, and timely assistance in health insurance, retirement benefits, employee benefits, worker's compensation, safety, loss prevention, loss control, and financing and recovery programs. Additionally, assistance is provided in the areas of insurance liability and litigation management. The Division's function involves the identification and evaluation of actual and potential risks, along with the avoidance, reduction, and/or transfer of risk.

Q: How do I apply for a job with the City?
A: The City of Pomona only accepts original applications for positions that are currently open. Applications may be obtained on the City's web site address: and mailed to the Human Resources Department, 505 South Garey Avenue, Pomona, CA 91766.

Q: How do I find out the status of my application?
A: Applicants are notified by mail approximately three to five weeks after the application filing deadline has closed.

Q: What are the current job opportunities and how often are they updated?
A: The current job opportunities that are listed on the City web site are updated weekly: or call the City's job hotline at (909) 620-CITY (2489).

Q: How do I prepare for a written examination, physical agility or oral interview for Police Officer?
A: There are three types of tests administered to become a Police Officer: (1) a written examination; (2) a physical agility; and, (3) an oral interview. For detailed information regarding these tests, refer to the City's web page. There is an entire page about "How to be a Police Officer" which will assist applicants with the testing process for the Police Department. The web site page is:

Q: How do I file a claim for damages and/or personal injury against the City?
A: Call (909) 620-2294 to request a form or visit the Human Resources/Risk Management Department, located on the second floor of City Hall. Completed claim forms are to be returned to the City Clerk's office in City Hall by mail or in person.


LIBRARY SERVICES  - To view the Library Services F.A.Q.s please click: here



The primary function of the Police Department is to provide public safety services for the City. The mission of the Police Department is to commit to a high level of police services and security to the citizens of Pomona through: The reduction of crime; An organization of caring professionals who deliver service to the community in a realistic, sensitive, positive manner; the pursuit of organizational and professional development.

Q: How can I get a copy of a police report and what is the cost?
A: Copies of police reports may be ordered at the Police Department Front Desk, 490 West Mission Blvd. Copies cost $15 and will be mailed to you in 7 to 10 days. No reports are given at the front counter.

Q: How do I make a report to the police?
A: The Pomona Police Department will respond 24 hours a day, seven days a week to any report of a violation of state or municipal laws or ordinances, if it involves criminal law over which the Police Department has jurisdiction. Issues over which the Police Department has no jurisdiction will be referred to the proper agency. To make a report, call (909) 622-1241.

Q: How do I report "suspicious" activity?
A: Call the Pomona Police Department's non-emergency number (909) 622-1241 for any suspicious activities. "Suspicious" activity would include anything that seems even slightly out of place for your area or for the time of day during which it occurs. For instance unusual noises, barking dogs, anything suggesting foul play, danger, illegal activity, street vending, found evidence or contraband, and suspicious or abandoned vehicles should be reported. The emergency 911 number should be used to report emergency or "in progress" crimes.

Q: Do I have to identify myself when I report any crime or suspicious activity?
A: No, you can remain anonymous. Only if you dial 911 will Dispatch know where the call is coming from.

Q: How do I register a complaint about a police officer?
A: You may call the Watch Commander at (909) 620-2151 or contact any field officer, front desk personnel, on duty supervisor at the Pomona Police Department. Contact may be in person, by phone or by mail. Complaint forms are available in the lobby of the main Police Station.




The department provides a broad base of services for the community through its divisions of Administration, Business Services, Engineering, Equipment Maintenance, Parks and Landscape Maintenance, Refuse Collection and Disposal Service, Street & Facilities Maintenance, Transportation & Development and Water & Wastewater Operations. Public Works primary goal is to enhance the quality of life in Pomona for our residents, businesses, and visitors, by working together to improve our public facilities and provide services with the highest quality of customer care.

Q: I want to report graffiti, who do I contact and what is the turnaround time?
A: Please contact our Graffiti Removal Reporting Line at (909) 620-2265 and leave your name, phone number, and the exact location of the graffiti. The turnaround time is usually within 24 to 48 hours, depending on the number of requests.

Q: I need to have my curb painted red, yellow, green, or white, who do I contact?
A: Please contact our Traffic Division at (909) 620-2261.

Q: Whom do I call to assess whether or not a speed bump/hump, stop sign or traffic light can be installed on my street?
A: Please contact our City Traffic Engineer/Traffic Division at (909) 620-2261.

Q: How do I Report a pothole or other needed street/sidewalk repairs?
A: Please contact our Street Maintenance Division at (909) 620-3665 and leave your name, phone number, address and description of the problem with the street.

Q: Where can I get information about traffic counts?
A: Please contact our Traffic Division at (909) 620-2261.

Q: Where can I report a street light outage?
A: Please contact our Street Lighting Division at (909) 620-2395 and leave your name, phone number, nearest cross street, pole number (if available), and exact location of the street light pole.

Q: How do I report a surface that is causing trips or falls?
A: Please contact our Street Maintenance Division at (909) 620-3665 and leave your name, phone number, address, and description of the problem.

Q: How can I obtain a parking permit?
A: Please contact our Public Works counter at (909) 620-2281 or 2282 to obtain a "Permit Parking" only on specific streets. There is no cost for this permit.

Q: How do I obtain a permit for street banners, street closures, etc.?
A: Please contact our Public Works counter on the 1st floor of City Hall or call (909) 620-2281 or 2282. You must fill out an application in person or you may request one by mail. The cost for the permit is $40.00 for both a banner or street closure, If requesting a banner and it is for an event (i.e., carnival), it must be approved by the Redevelopment Agency. You must also include a picture of the banner. If the permit is for a street closure, you must also submit a drawing/plan of how the area is to be closed.

Q: I am a contractor/bidder. Where can I get a copy of plans and specs for a project?
A: Please contact our Public Works counter in person or via U.S. Mail. If you have any questions, you can call (909) 620-2281 or 2282. The cost of plans/specs varies depending on project.

Q: Where can I get bid results for Public Works construction projects?
A: Bid results can be obtained by calling (909) 620-2281 or 2282 or by visiting our Public Works counter.




The Los Angeles County Fire Department has eight fire stations that serve the City of Pomona. Each station is staffed with career fire fighting personnel who are trained to provide citizens with the highest level of fire and rescue assistance. Fire stations are strategically located throughout Pomona to provide quick assistance to area residents. In the event of fire or rescue emergency, the primary station will be on call to assist you with support from other stations, as needed.

The Los Angeles County Fire Department is committed to serving the residents of Pomona and is available to answer any additional emergency and non-emergency related questions.

Q: Do the Fire Stations have a telephone number for non-emergencies?
A: Yes. The business telephone numbers are to be used for non-emergency calls only. Please refer to the list below and find the address and telephone number for your local station.



FS 181 (909) 620-2201
Division & Battalion Headquarters
590 South Park Avenue
Pomona 91766-3038

FS 182 (909) 620-2202
1059 N. White Avenue
Pomona 91768-3038

FS 183 (909) 620-2203
708 N. San Antonio
Pomona 91767-4910

FS 184 (909) 620-2204
1980 W. Orange Grove
Pomona 91768-2046

FS 185 (909) 620-2205
925 E. Lexington
Pomona 91766-5204

FS 186 (909) 620-2206
280 E. Bonita
Pomona 91767-1924

FS 187 (909) 620-2207
3325 Temple Avenue
Pomona 91768-3256

FS 188 (909) 620-2208
18 A Village Loop Road
Pomona 91766-4811

FS 189 (909) 620-2209
(Open during LA County Fair)
Pomona Fairplex
1101 McKinley Avenue
Pomona 91768

Pomona Community Services Representative
FS 181
590 S. Park Avenue
Pomona 91766-3038
(909) 469-2659

Q: Does the Fire Department require certain permits in order to open a business?
A: Yes. Our Fire Prevention Bureau is located here in Pomona and can assist businesses with questions relating to permits. (909) 620-2216.

Q: Do you charge for paramedic service?
A: The Los Angeles County Fire Department is funded through property taxes and does not charge for paramedic service. Ambulance companies are privately owned and should a patient require transportation by ambulance, they will charge a fee.

Q: Does the Fire Department collect and dispose of hazardous waste?
A: The Fire Department does not collect and dispose of hazardous waste. Hazardous Roundups are usually coordinated through local cities.

Q: How can I find out more about Los Angeles County Fire Department?
A: For more information on the Los Angeles County Fire Department, visit our website at



Q: When are Pomona City Council Meetings aired?
A: The City Council Meetings are aired live on the first and third Monday of each month beginning at 7 p.m. on Channel 29.

Q: How would I obtain a copy of a City Council Meeting?
A: Currently, City Council Meetings are only available in audio tape. Copies can be obtained for a nominal fee from the City Clerk's Office at (909) 620-2341.

Q: Why don't cities have more control over local cable companies?
A: Congress passed legislation in 1996 that severely diminished the ability of local governments to effectively ensure the quality and level of local cable TV service. Their rationale was that strict regulation was no longer necessary because competition in the marketplace would force cable companies to provide customers with quality service and competitive pricing. Unfortunately, there was not - and still isn't - any meaningful competition at the local level. Satellite companies are attracting a growing number of subscribers but there hasn't been any significant impact on cable company rates and services levels.

Q: I'd like to announce my event on the local cable TV show. Who can I contact?
A: If you would like to announce a special event in the Pomona community it must be approved by the City's Administration Department. To be considered for the cable reader board on Channel. 29, you can contact the City's Public Information Office at (909) 620-2448.


Scroll Up